Friday, September 1, 2017

2017 Update

I had my annual mammogram in August. The technician was the same gal who scared me silly when I had the questionable mammogram results in 2012. I'm sure my blood pressure skyrocketed when I first saw her - like the 160/90 reading I got in the doctor's office a few weeks later. I'm now also tracking my blood pressure, trying to lose a few pounds with a low-carb diet, and have a follow-up blood pressure check next week.

This year's mammogram results came back with a clear report, thank God. But this technician, used so much force with the mammogram machine that I was speechless.  She was talking the whole time and I was more focused on the conversation than the pain. The gal last year did not apply as much pressure and those results were clear. The thought crossed my mind she was using excessive force that was uncalled for, and trying to create a problem. Mayo Clinic research I read years ago how breast cells that are crushed, even with seat belts can mutate into cancer - but sometimes are just crushed cells and nothing to worry about. The same goes with old age. The report also stated mammograms themselves are suspect of causing cancer.  I would think this technician would have this same information, or she doesn't agree with it.

After the third of four pictures, I said it was too much. I feel bad for saying this, but I find something deeply sinister about this particular technician - that is, a lack of genuine compassion. She was in the middle of bragging about the 30-years she had worked there when I interrupted her.

The 4th picture? I barely felt any pressure and thought I would be called in for a retake. Surprisingly, I wasn't. I told my husband about the excessive force and how I asked her to back off. He said women he works with complain about the same technician.  Hopefully, my concerns related to the Mayo Clinic information will not turn into anything startling later on.

I still don't eat red meat, only have an occasional glass of red wine and no more than 2 per week. I revisit my ph-balancing book and consume things that keep my body balanced - like, less acidic foods that fuel diseases. I was eating a lot of fruit, but my physician pointed me in the direction of more vegetables and low-fat meats to lose a few pounds - and perhaps for other reasons. I probably only need to lose 10-15 pounds, but it's getting harder as I age. I try to stick with organics when I can afford them and it makes sense to.

I thank God and feel happy I have this positive report. I keep up my good eating and exercise, because I know it could change. If you are going through a cancer-scare, I hope you find something in my blog that works for you.







No comments:

Post a Comment